Sunday, December 6, 2009

Julia and Julie


I had never heard of Julia Child until viewing this movie, but found myself inspired to look into French cooking or even begin a blog about food.  Actually, I have decided to have a go at learning French!

Don't you think Meryl Streep is an amazing actor?  She gives what I believe to be yet another brilliant performance in the role of Julia Child - she nailed the quirky American/french femme perfectly!  I didn't realize how tall she was until seeing her beside her devoted husband Stanley Tucci (perfect in the role).  Man alive! - she towers over him!  they were a gorgeous team as husband and wife - I enjoyed them enjoying each other as well as enjoying their food.

I was delighted by the funny nuances highlighting Julias' interactions with the food and her husband and found myself laughing out loud a few times.

What is it about turning 30 that causes some women to become so caught up in trying to somehow feel better about themselves after a supposed life of mediocrity?  What is with that?   Turning 30 is not the problem!  Carpe` diem honey buns!

Amy Adams gave a very believeable performance as Julie Powell (a neurotic and egocentric character trying to have as meaningful a life as her yuppy friends). 


The part I least enjoyed about this film was the bla ending - it left me feeling a little unfulfilled. 

I don't regret seeing this film and will look for it on DVD to add to my ever increasing Chick Flick section of my collection.

My Personal Rating
7/10

I am sad to say that since seeing the film I was inspired to purchase a copy of the book - OMG! What a let down! Reading it was like pulling teeth!


Can I say to anyone who has not read the book yet, don't bother - its not worth ruining the pleasant memory of the film. It is full of over indulgence of alcohol, expletives and sex inuendo regarding some of the recipes (thoroughly out of context).  Sadly, it also leaves out a great part of the Julia story and although I persevered as long as I could, I only got 3/4 of the way through before I put it away with great disappointment. Needless to say, I regret wasting the $25 I paid for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment